IMT Atlantique, is an institute of higher education and research, grounded through the fusion of École des Mines Nantes and Telecom Bretagne in January 2017. IMT Atlantique Technological University, is a member of Institut Mines Telecom. The research potential ranks IMT Atlantique among the top 10 in France.
We have built our reputation both on high-level research and on innovative teaching methods. We offer three degrees: MEngs—including through apprenticeship, MS’ and PhDs. We prepare our future engineers and researchers to a globalized world upheld on a network of 180 partners across the world, offering 51 double-degrees and three international MS’. We offer three programs which cover all fields in the nuclear sector, from the most fundamental to applied.
MASTERS OF ENGINEERING
For MEng students interested in careers within major corporations and institutions in the nuclear sector, three majors are available:
- Nuclear: technology, safety and environment (NTSE);
- Systems and technologies applied to nuclear reactors (STAR);
- Research and development, instrumentation (RDI).
INTERNATIONAL MASTER OF SCIENCE
We offer an international MS in Sustainable Nuclear Energy – Applications and Management (SNEAM), taught in English. Students acquire solid scientific, technical and industrial knowledge in each off the three majors:
- Advanced Nuclear Waste Management (ANWM) focuses on the back-end of the nuclear fuel cycle, waste management, long-term safety, and environmental impact assessment, and provides strong insights on dismantling and decommissioning issues;
- Nuclear Energy Production & Industrial Applications (NEPIA) specializes in nuclear reactors and industrial applications (particles beams technology, instrumentation, etc.). A particular focus is put on safety and radiation protection;
- Nuclear Technologies for Medical Applications (NUTMA; partly in French) focuses on the different nuclear technologies used in the medical field.
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN FUNDAMENTAL PHYSICS AND APPLICATIONS (PFA)
This MS, managed jointly with Nantes University, offers three different majors:
- Ionizing radiation and medical application (RIA);
- Research into Sub-atomic Physics (RPS);
- Dismanting and Nuclear Modeling (DMN).
IMT Atlantique is a founding member of IFCEN, the Sino-French Institute of Nuclear Engineering & Technology, at Guangzhou’s Sun-Yat-Sen University in southern China. It is an engineering school modeled on the French system.
IMT Atlantique participates in many joint research units with CNRS, Nantes University, University of South Brittany, University of Rennes 1, other graduate schools, INSERM and INRIA. We have created two research and teaching chairs in the nuclear and high-risk industry sectors in partnership with major corporations such as ANDRA, ORANO, EDF, NAVAL Group, and IRSN:
- Stocking and storage of radioactive waste,
- RESOH, Research into Human Safety Organization.
students on 3 campuses (Brest, Nantes, Rennes)
of contractual income from research
start-ups set up in 2017