The Master’s degree in Materials science for Nuclear Energy (MaNuEn) is an international Master’s program designed for students wishing to pursue a career in nuclear R&D, whether in industrial companies or research organizations. Entirely taught in English, the two-year program covers the properties of materials in a nuclear environment (fuel and components) and their sustainability under irradiation. The first year covers the fundamentals of materials science and reactor physics and includes a 2-to-3-month internship. The second year is divided into 2 semesters:
All classes are taught in the first semester with two specialized courses: one at CEA/Cadarache (3 weeks) and one at EDF’s Materials Ageing Institute (2 weeks). About 50% of classes are taught by engineers and researchers from EDF and CEA.
The second semester consists in an internship of at least 5 months carried out either in industry or in a laboratory.
The MaNuEn Master’s degree is jointly issued with INSTN and accredited by I2EN.
What does a graduate with a MaNuEn Master’s degree know, understand, and have the ability to do?
MaNuEn graduates are able to:
- identify the specific features of nuclear materials,
- study and describe the behavior of irradiated materials,
- understand the physico-chemical phenomena used in the manufacturing of crystalline and thin-film ceramic materials,
- appreciate the main aging process responsible for producing defects in materials,
- design and conduct experimental procedures to evaluate kinetic and mechanical resistance to corrosion.
Upon graduation, MaNuEn students can apply for the following:
- Engineer in the nuclear industry
- R&D engineer
- Research scientist or assistant professor
- Doctoral degree program (PhD)
- 2 weeks at EDF’s “Materials Ageing Institute” (R&D center)
- 3 weeks at CEA’s Cadarache nuclear research center
ECTS par discipline
|Internship||5 months minimum||30|
|Definition, characteristics, manufacturing of materials (structure, fuel, matrices, containers)||243,80||15,50|
|Matériaux sous irradiation||68||3,50|
|Energy economics – energy mix||40||3|
|Gestion de projet : coûts & délais||32||3|
|Neutronique & thermohydraulique||16||1,50|
|Le Cycle : de la mine au déchets, filières des réacteurs thermiques et rapides||16||1,50|
|Anglais & langues étrangères||12||2|
“During the 2 years that I followed the program MaNuEn, I had the chance to experience lectures given by engineers from the industry and perform researches in companies. It was a program that allowed me to strengthen my textbook knowledge and to realize what I learnt in lab courses related or internships”
Chih-Ying (Vivienne) Hsu, Diplômée du MaNuEn (2017)